The Snake River Land Company was established in Jackson Hole, Wyoming in 1926 by philanthropist John D. Rockefeller, Jr. to purchase land that would eventually become Grand Teton National Park. The Company’s headquarters, a 3,300-square foot building and multi-acre site, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006 and is managed by the National Park Service (NPS). DJ&A was contracted to explore the reutilization of the historic building, which had been unoccupied since 1994.
First, DJ&A was tasked with completing pre-design services to determine the current condition and structural integrity of the building. Pre-design services included the inspection of the existing superstructure and foundation, documentation of all deficiencies and the creation of a cost estimate for repairs. DJ&A worked in coordination with a Historical Preservation Architect to make recommendations for reutilization that preserved the historic integrity of the building. Site surveys and a final stamped engineer’s report included recommendations for improvements to the electrical, water, waste water, mechanical, fire sprinkler and alarm, potable water supply and waste disposal systems.
DJ&A then led the facility planning effort including facilitating multiple design charrettes and a value analysis workshop with Park employees. The workshop considered two alternatives for the rehabilitation of the building. A third option, developed during the two-day workshop, significantly increased value to the NPS with cost savings in excess of $60,000 and over 1,400 additional square feet of visitor access area.
- Performed structural analysis and inspection of existing building superstructure
- Produced inspection findings report including cost estimate for recommended repairs
- Conducted geotechnical investigation and site survey mapping
- Coordinated with Historic Preservation Architect
- Developed reutilization alternatives based on technical findings
- Led multiple design charrettes and Value Analysis workshop with NPS personnel
- Wrote Value Analysis Report
The breadth of services DJ&A offers, including structural engineering, civil engineering and value analysis facilitation on this project, allowed the NPS to meet their project budget.