DJ&A is a multidisciplinary consulting firm that delivers a wide variety of professional services to clients across the nation. Specializing in Transportation Design, Survey & Mapping, Sustainability, Site Development and Utilities, Construction Inspection/Management, Geospatial Solutions, Terrestrial LiDAR, 3D Scanning, Structural Design, Project Management, Community Involvement, Right of Way, and Environmental Compliance, we perform work in some of the most beautiful locations; National Forests, National Parks and Monuments, campgrounds and other recreational facilities, and other federal lands throughout the United States. DJ&A’s unique and interesting projects create well-rounded employees, promote career development, and provide opportunities to visit these beautiful locales!
Founded in 1973 by two former U.S. Forest Service employees who saw a need for a company that uniquely understood Forest Service projects, DJ&A has continued to grow and expand over the last 48 years by embracing the values of our founders. Today, we have a team of 100+ skilled professionals spanning across offices in Missoula, MT (headquarters); Bozeman, MT; Vancouver, WA; Denver, CO; and Sioux Falls, SD.
DJ&A is seeking a full-time Water/Wastewater Design Engineer with 1 to 5 years of relevant experience in water/wastewater engineering. Other experience can include site civil, transportation, water resources, and construction inspection. The ideal candidate will have experience working on design projects for state and/or federal clients as well as private clients.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Candidate must be driven to be a key member of a highly competent team that tackles a variety of projects with interesting challenges that are unique to their respective locations.
- Possesses a strong initiative to solve problems, develop creative solutions, learn new methods and techniques, and seek out answers to simple and complex questions.
- Coordinates with other team members to ensure schedules, budgets, quality, and agency requirements are achieved.
- Interacts with clients, customers, officials, contractors, and others.
- Implements QA/QC procedures.
Proposal / Project Procurement
- Assists in proposal development to procure engineering projects.
Design & Project Work
- Produces civil designs for sanitary sewer collection systems, wastewater lift stations, wastewater treatment systems, water distribution and storage systems, and water treatment systems. Additional project work can include road and parking lot design, stormwater management, and site grading and drainage.
- Produces drawings, layouts, sketches, maps, and graphic representations of engineering designs.
- Develops project specifications in a wide variety of formats
- Prepares construction cost estimates in a wide variety of formats.
- Supports project managers, engineers, land surveyors, and survey/design teams using Bentley WaterCAD, EPANET, Autodesk Civil 3D, or similar software platforms.
- Produces technical engineering reports with photos, figures, engineering calculations, applicable references, and relevant supporting documentation.
- Obtains federal, state, and local approvals and permits.
- Develops bidding documents for a variety of civil engineering projects.
- Assists with, and/or performs, intermittent construction inspections including documenting observations, construction activities, and field measurements.
- Accompanies project managers to meetings related to bid openings, pre-construction meetings, and client/contractor meetings.
- Completes special client forms and project close-out activities.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Proficiency with EPANET, Bentley WaterCAD and/or other water system modeling software a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent planning, organizational, and communication skills.
- Highly proficient analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Independent, self-motivated, results-oriented, and dynamic.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and with geographically dispersed teams.
Education and Experience
- B.S. in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or related engineering field and EIT certificate (minimum). A Master’s in Civil or Environmental Engineering is a plus.
- Between 1 and 5 years of experience related to civil or environmental engineering design projects.
- Project experience with federal agencies (FHWA, NPS, USFS, NRCS, etc.) is a plus.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working at a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Must be able to travel to various (and sometimes remote) project sites.
- Must be able to access and navigate job sites and construction areas.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Colorado salary range: $58,000 – $82,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Medical, dental and vision benefits (monthly medical premiums fully paid).
- Long-term disability and life insurance.
- Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA) with annual company deposit.
- Roth and 401(k) retirement accounts.
- Profit sharing and bonus plan.
- 9/80 work schedule.
- Paid time off and holidays.
- Professional licensure reimbursement.
- Professional development training.
- Friendly, supportive, knowledgeable staff and culture!
- Vancouver, WA; Denver, CO; Missoula, or Bozeman, MT; Sioux Falls, SD
DJ&A is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. You may view our Equal Employment Opportunity notice here and Supplemental EEO notice here.
DJ&A is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.